“And above all,
watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you,
because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”
― Roald Dahl





Saturday, December 17, 2011

Candied Oranges

Candied oranges!
They're delicious and easier to make than you think.
I followed this recipe from food network
All you need is:
6 thick-skinned navel oranges
4 1/2 cups sugar, plus extra for rolling
1 1/2 cups water
Directions
Cut tops and bottoms off of the orange and score the orange into quarters, cutting down only into the peel and not into the fruit. Peel the skin and pith of the orange in large pieces.
I got Paul to help me cut the peel into strips about 1/4-inch wide.

Put the orange peel in a large saucepan with cold water to cover, bring to a boil over high heat. Then pour off the water. Repeat 1 or 2 more times,this helps remove the bitterness.Remove the orange peels from the pan.

Whisk the sugar with 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 8 to 9 minutes (If you took the sugar's temperature with a candy thermometer it would be at the soft thread stage, 230 to 234 degrees F.) Add the peels and simmer gently, reducing heat to retain a simmer. Cook until the peels get translucent, about 45 minutes. Resist the urge to stir the peels or you may introduce sugar crystals into the syrup. If necessary, swirl the pan to move the peels around.

Drain the peels, then roll them in sugar and dry on a rack, for 4 to 5 hours. Return to the sugar to store.

Once they are dry you can dip them in dark chocolate but I like them plain.
Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. I have never tried this before, but I think I'd like to - especially dipping them in chocolate!!! :) Great idea, thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be doing that as soon as I regain some of my strength. We have a huge plastic container filled to the brim from our trees. It's so easy to make these delish goodies and actually dipping them in choco sounds great. Thx for the recipes and Happy Holidays to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so yummy. I asked my daughter to pretty please make this for me....she has a baking blog and will try anything. Thanks for this post.

    Happiness, Abundance and Peace to ALL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just stopping by to wish you a Merry Christmas! May 2012 bring many blessings! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so pretty and I can imagine how good it would taste! We hope to drive out to the orange groves soon and get some oranges! I can't wait! Happy holidays! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your comment, I really appreciate it:)