“And above all,
watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you,
because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”
― Roald Dahl





Monday, November 6, 2017

Merry Monday!

Hello, How was your weekend?
We had a very nice one with temperatures no higher than 80 degrees.
For us, that's nice, Summer lows are usually 90 degrees at 4 am!

Are you ready for the very first 


I'd like to say again, that this is a lot like Haunted Humpday..
without the creepy stories, haha!
I want to write about things that bring me joy,
how there is magic in almost everything..
and gratitude is the secret to happiness.
I have a recipe to share,
some craft ideas,
 and a couple of books I think you should take a look at if you can.
.......................................
A few years ago I had a weekly post called Guerrilla Friday.
I created small pieces of art,
 (little dolls, cards, tiny birdhouses..)  
I'd write inspirational messages on them, and "abandon" them somewhere.
I've left trinkets at parks, bike trails, parking lots, bus benches...
my theory is, what if someone is really down, or wondering if they need a sign of some sort...
and they just happen to find a little card that says
'Believe in yourself"....well it might just help them out in some small way.
If nothing else, it might provoke a smile.
I always write:
'this is for you' 
on the back..just in case someone feels like
 they are taking something set there for someone else.
So we started the weekend with a walk at a nearby park.
We took a small paper mache heart we painted, with us.
We added a couple of phrases to it.
(stand tall/you got this)
I hung this on a large rose bush, then we ran off!



You'd be surprised how good this makes you feel!

Have you ever had brownies with Andes mints in them?
It's super simple to make
You need some brownie mix, I use this one:






And these mints,



prepare according to the directions on the box,
 mix in a teaspoon of peppermint oil.
then add half the batter to an 8x8 pan, 
press in as many mints as you want across and down.I usually use 20.
Cover them with the remaining batter and bake.

(via pinterest)
They taste like mint cocoa & are perfect for the holidays!

By now, you all probably know that I greatly admire
Her awesome book
inspires me every time I open it.


I bought this book one day (about 8 years ago) at Barnes & Noble..
The colorful story book projects and the easy to follow instructions 
captured my imagination.
After pouring through the book several times, I was curious to see
who this author was.
I found her beautiful blog and just could not get over how 
cute her creations were.
I was very happy to find out she had an etsy shop
selling many fanciful items.
After purchasing a few, I found out that
Not only is she incredibly creative, she's kind.
Over the years we have become friends,
and a couple years ago, soon after my dad passed away,
 I was able to go visit her and her wonderful mom, in New Jersey.
It was an amazing trip that helped me clear my head
and shake off the grief that was surrounding me.
We went sightseeing,
visited the jersey shore,
We crafted.
I also learned that family doesn't have to be people you are connected to genetically.
I'll always be grateful.


..........................................................................................................................................................

Ready to create some fun?
These ornaments are super easy to make!
This is Marion Macaron:



To create Marion, you need
 a Charlotte doll head from Lisa's shop
A soft squishy (foam) macaron backpack charm from Michael's craft store 
4 pink pipe cleaners
pink fabric paint
white glitter
pink glitter
white glue
hot glue
pink beads
tooth picks
scissors 
scrapbook paper
ribbon
_________________________________
Remove the clips from the macaron charm
insert pipe cleaners through the macaron, to form arms and legs.
 since it's foam, the pipe cleaner wire should be easy to push in. 
cut to size
hot glue the Charlotte doll head to the charm
cut out a chef hat from the scrapbook paper 
hot glue to Charlotte's head
Add hot glue to tips of the 'hands' secure a pink bead to it.
Do the same to the other hand.
put a small amount of hot glue on a toothpick that has been cut in half,
add to pink beads to create a 'candied apple' look 
dip feet in white glue
sprinkle pink glitter on them.
cover hat in white glue and add white glitter.
use fabric paint to cover the gap between the head and the macaron.
when she's dry, hot glue a short loop of ribbon to the back of her head to display her.


This is Beulah Bon Bon


You will need 
Bon Bon back pack charm from Michael's craft store
 A China doll head from Lisa's shop
(you can get her pre painted or ready to paint)
light brown pipe cleaners
silver tinsel
red glitter foam
scissors
ribbon
hot glue
clear glitter
green glitter
small cookie eraser or a sticker that looks like a sweet
__________________________________________________-

Same as before, remove the clips from the charm
push pipe cleaners through the foam
cut to size
hot glue the china doll head to the bon bon 
cut out a hat from the red foam
hot glue in place
hot glue silver tinsel to tip of hat and both feet
add glue then sprinkle green glitter to hat
add sticker 
or
hot glue little cookie to her hand.
you can also make teeny little sweets out of oven bake clay
cover cheeks in white glue
sprinkle white glitter on her face
hot glue loop of ribbon to back of her head
Has anyone read this yet?
If so, did you enjoy it?
If you read the Practical Magic book,
 I've heard this is a must read.


The amazing Ricki Jill at The Sketchy Reader is going to 
write a review soon and I cannot wait,
Her book reviews are thorough and honest.
you should give her blog a visit if you can,
it's filled with photos of her gorgeous home too.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, that's all for today..
Thank you for stopping by..
If you would like to participate by writing your own
Merry Monday post
you can leave a link in the comments.
Remember,
this is just a weekly post on people/things that bring me joy and make me feel grateful.
you can post anything you like, a photo of something that makes you happy
a recipe you would like to share..
some artwork, 
something neat you bought..
or a story about someone or something that inspires you.
Also, if you decide to abandon some art, let me know!

I'm going to end this with three things I'm grateful for:
1.Helena
                                  2. The current book I'm reading
            3.Cooler weather


See you later!


10 comments:

  1. I really like your ideas. Leaving the gift in the park hopefully offered encouragement and just like pay it forward perhaps made them think of doing something similar.It is nice to see cheer placed into anyones life. The brownies are calling out to me and I will try soon. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous way to begin Merry Monday. I'd never heard of Lisa or her blog before, but you are SO right. She has a lovely blog and from just skimming, she has some incredible projects, too. So glad you left a link because I plan to go back and take a closer look soon. I'm already late, so must tend to my hosting today, but I'm so glad I stopped by and checked out your recipe, your cute art, and Lisa's blog.

    BTW, if you want to do something nice at Christmas or Thanksgiving, buy an inexpensive pair of socks and leave them where homeless people live. You have NO idea how grateful they will be, because many of them are veterans who can't find work due to PTSD or other injuries. I know you want to focus on the abandoned art, but socks are always appreciated by homeless people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems great idea !
    Please visit my blog .
    https://clickbystyle.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Marfi. I love seeing what you create. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw! Thanks, Marfi, for the shout out! I will be reviewing The Rules of Magic in a couple of weeks once these other obligations are behind me. I've already started it, and it looks VERY promising!

    I love your ornaments!!! They are so cute and vintage looking! I also think it's so sweet to leave the encouraging little notes around...they would be a treat to receive, and I bet folks who really need to be lifted-up find them!

    I'm happy about the Merry Monday posts!!! What a super-cool idea!

    Sorry I'm a day late. I didn't get a chance to read any blogs yesterday. *sadface*

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of writing bright things! Especially if yummy food and books are involved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your posts! You put so much in them! I love the idea about abandoning art! I read about that a couple of years ago and thought it would be a great idea! I have to do it!!
    Those brownies look so good!!
    I love the picture of you and your friend! That is priceless, that you two were able to meet!
    Really love those little dolls!
    Big Hugs and Keep Being You!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a super beautiful journey into your world! I love Lisa's work, she is super talented and such a creative soul! Wonderful and charming ornaments!
    Have a sweet day!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  9. 11/13/17 Is National World Kindness Day. For the past 3 years I've been going around handing out handmade cards with a small gift bag. I love the heart you made. I need to get my happy little butt in gear and start making things for it. Have you ever left something and then secretly hid to see how gets your little treats you leave and their reactions? That would be so neat to see.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm way behind on my blog reading but wanted to say Hi and tell you that you MUST read Rules of Magic! It is fantastic!! :-)
    blessings
    ~*~

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your comment, I really appreciate it:)